Clinical Application of Elastography in Breast Ultrasound
Stacy Smith-Foley, MD
Medical Director, The Breast Center at CARTI
Little Rock, AR
Upon completion of this lecture, participants will be able to:
1) Discuss the challenges of ultrasound in breast imaging.
2) Describe elastography techniques in breast imaging.
3) Understand the emerging data for using shear wave elastography in breast imaging.
Credit: 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
1 Category A CE credit
Scroll to the bottom to complete the survey and take the quiz
CONFLICT OF INTEREST DISCLOSURE
Stacy Smith-Foley, MD
Consultant/Scientific Advisory Board: Hologic, Inc. – Honorarium
Speakers Board: Myriad - Honorarium
NO DISCLOSURES TO DECLARE:
Heidi M. Wilson
Instructions: After watching the video, scroll to the bottom, complete a post-event online quiz and evaluation. After passing the quiz and submitting evaluation, your CME certificate will be available for download
Accreditation and Disclosure
World Class CME is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
World Class CME designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The American Society of Radiologic Technologists has approved this activity for Category A CE credits as follows. The American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) accepts all American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT) Category A credits as fulfilling their requirements for continuing education (CE) credits.
Activity Title Category A CE Credits
Clinical Application of Elastography in Breast Ultrasound 1.0 CE
This program has been planned and implemented in accordance with ACCME essentials and standards. World Class CME relies on its CME faculty to provide program content that is evidence-based and free of commercial bias. Therefore, any faculty, program director, reviewer and/or provider industry relationships will be disclosed and resolved. Speakers are required to openly disclose any limitations of data and/or any discussion of any off-label, experimental, or investigational uses of drugs or devices in their presentations.
This activity is supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Hologic, Inc.
Release Date: 5/4/2020
Expiry Date: 6/1/2023
Certificate Fee: Free
1- Berg WA, Gutierrez L, NessAiver MS, Carter WB, Bhargavan M, Lewis RS, Ioffe OB. Diagnostic accuracy of mammography, clinical examination, US, and MR imaging in preoperative assessment of breast cancer. Radiology 2004;233:830-849
• 2- Mendelson EB, Böhm-Vélez M, Berg WA, et al. ACR BI-RADS® Ultrasound. In: ACR BI-RADS® Atlas, Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System. Reston, VA, American College of Radiology; 2015.
• 3- Parker SH, Jobe WE, Dennis MA, Stavros AT, Johnson KK, Yakes WF, Truell JE, Price JG, Kortz AB, Clark DG. US-guided automated large-core
breast biopsy. Radiology 1993;187:507-511
• 4- Berg WA, Blume JD, Cormack JB, Mendelson EB, Lehrer D, Böhm- Vélez M, Pisano ED, Jong RA, Evans WP, Morton MJ, Mahoney MC, Larsen LH, Barr RG, Farria DM, Marques HS, Boparai K; ACRIN 6666 Investigators. Combined screening with ultrasound and mammography vs mammography alone in women at elevated risk of breast cancer. JAMA. 2008 May 14;299(18):2151-63. doi: 10.1001/ jama.299.18.2151. Erratum in: JAMA. 2010 Apr 21;303(15):1482.
• 5- Ohuchi N, Suzuki A, Sobue T, Kawai M, Yamamoto S, Zheng YF, Shiono YN, Saito H, Kuriyama S, Tohno E, Endo T, Fukao A, Tsuji I, Yamaguchi T, Ohashi Y, Fukuda M, Ishida T; J-START investigator groups. Sensitivity and specificity of mammography and adjunctive ultrasonography to
screen for breast cancer in the Japan Strategic Anti-cancer Randomized Trial (J-START): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2016 Jan
• 6- Lazarus E, Mainiero MB, Schepps B, Koelliker SL, Livingston LS. BI-RADS lexicon for US and mammography: interobserver variability and positive predictive value. Radiology 2006;239(2):385-391.
• 7- Moorman AM, Bourez RL, de Leeuw DM, Kouwenhoven EA. Pre-operative Ultrasonographic Evaluation of Axillary Lymph Nodes in Breast Cancer Patients: For Which Group Still of Additional Value and in Which Group Cause for Special Attention? Ultrasound Med Biol. 2015 Aug 7. pii: S0301-5629(15)00411-1. doi: 10.1016/j. ultrasmedbio.2015.06.013
• 8- Barr RG, Zhang Z. Effects of precompression on elasticity imaging of the breast: development of a clinically useful semiquantitative method
of precompression assessment. J Ultrasound Med. 2012 Jun;31(6):895-902.
• 9- Cosgrove DO, Berg WA, Doré CJ, Skyba DM, Henry JP, Gay J, Cohen-Bacrie C; BE1 Study Group. Shear wave elastography for breast masses is highly reproducible. Eur Radiol. 2012 May;22(5): 1023-32.
• 10- Evans A, Whelehan P, Thomson K, Brauer K, Jordan L, Purdie C, McLean D, Baker L, Vinnicombe S, Thompson A. Differentiating benign from malignant solid breast masses: value of shear wave elastography according to lesion stiffness combined with greyscale ultrasound
according to BI-RADS classification. Br J Cancer. 2012 Jul 10;107(2):224-9.
• 11- Gweon HM, Youk JH, Son EJ, Kim JA. Clinical application of qualitative assessment for breast masses in shear-wave elastography. Eur J
Radiol. 2013 Nov;82(11):e680-5.
• 12- Kim H, Youk JH, Gweon HM, Kim JA, Son EJ. Diagnostic performance of qualitative shear-wave elastography according to different color
map opacities for breast masses. Eur J Radiol. 2013 Aug;82(8):e326-31.
• 13- Lee SH, Cho N, Chang JM, Koo HR, Kim JY, Kim WH, Bae MS, Yi A, Moon WK. Two-view versus single-view shear-wave elastography:
comparison of observer performance in differentiating benign from malignant breast masses. Radiology. 2014 Feb;270(2):344-53.
• 14-Youk JH, Son EJ, Gweon HM, Kim H, Park YJ, Kim JA. Comparison of strain and shear wave elastography for the differentiation of benign
from malignant breast lesions, combined with B-mode ultrasonography: qualitative and quantitative assessments. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2014
• 15- Zhou J, Zhan W, Chang C, Zhang X, Jia Y, Dong Y, Zhou C, Sun J, Grant EG. Breast lesions: evaluation with shear wave elastography, with
special emphasis on the “stiff rim” sign. Radiology. 2014 Jul;272(1):63-72.
• 16- Youk JH, Gweon HM, Son EJ, Chung J, Kim JA, Kim EK. Threedimensional shear-wave elastography for differentiating benign and
malignant breast lesions: comparison with two-dimensional shear-wave elastography. Eur Radiol. 2013 Jun;23(6):1519-27.
• 17- Tozaki M, Fukuma E. Pattern classification of ShearWaveTM Elastography images for differential diagnosis between benign and malignant
solid breast masses. Acta Radiol. 2011 Dec 1;52(10):1069-75.
• 18- Athanasiou A, Tardivon A, Tanter M, Sigal-Zafrani B, Bercoff J, Deffieux T, Gennisson JL, Fink M, Neuenschwander S. Breast lesions:
quantitative elastography with supersonic shear imaging--preliminary results. Radiology. 2010 Jul;256(1):297-303.
• 19- Rzymski P, Skórzewska A, Skibinska-Zielinska M, Opala T. Factors influencing breast elasticity measured by the ultrasound Shear Wave
elastography - preliminary results. Arch Med Sci. 2011 Feb;7(1):127-33
• 20- Tanter M, Bercoff J, Athanasiou A, Deffieux T, Gennisson JL, Montaldo G, Muller M, Tardivon A, Fink M. Quantitative assessment of breast
lesion viscoelasticity: initial clinical results using supersonic shear imaging. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2008 Sep;34(9):1373-86
• 21- Au FW, Ghai S, Moshonov H, Kahn H, Brennan C, Dua H, Crystal P. Diagnostic performance of quantitative shear wave elastography in the
evaluation of solid breast masses: determination of the most discriminatory parameter. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014 Sep;203(3):W328-36.
• 22- Berg WA, Cosgrove DO, Doré CJ, Schäfer FK, Svensson WE, Hooley RJ, Ohlinger R, Mendelson EB, Balu-Maestro C, Locatelli M, Tourasse C,
Cavanaugh BC, Juhan V, Stavros AT, Tardivon A, Gay J, Henry JP, Cohen-Bacrie C; BE1 Investigators. Shearwave elastography improves the
specificity of breast US: the BE1 multinational study of 939 masses. Radiology. 2012 Feb;262(2):435-49.
• 23- Berg WA, Mendelson EB, Cosgrove DO, Doré CJ, Gay J, Henry JP, Cohen-Bacrie C. Quantitative Maximum Shear-Wave Stiffness of Breast
Masses as a Predictor of Histopathologic Severity. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015 Aug;205(2):448-55.Chang, 2011
• 24- Chang JM, Moon WK, Cho N, Yi A, Koo HR, Han W, Noh DY, Moon HG, Kim SJ. Clinical application of shear wave elastography (SWE) in the
diagnosis of benign and malignant breast diseases. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011 Aug;129(1):89-97.
• 25- Chang JM, Won JK, Lee KB, Park IA, Yi A, Moon WK. Comparison of shear-wave and strain ultrasound elastography in the differentiation of
benign and malignant breast lesions. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013 Aug;201(2):W347-56.
• 26- Dobruch-Sobczak K, Nowicki A. Role of shear wave sonoelastography in differentiation between focal breast lesions. Ultrasound Med Biol.
• 27- Ko KH, Jung HK, Kim SJ, Kim H, Yoon JH. Potential role of shear-wave ultrasound elastography for the differential diagnosis of breast non-
mass lesions: preliminary report. Eur Radiol. 2014 Feb;24(2):305-11.
• 28- Youk JH, Gweon HM, Son EJ, Han KH, Kim JA. Diagnostic value of commercially available shear-wave elastography for breast cancers:
integration into BI-RADS classification with subcategories of category 4. Eur Radiol. 2013 Oct;23(10):2695-704.
• 29- Yoon JH, Jung HK, Lee JT, Ko KH. Shear-wave elastography in the diagnosis of solid breast masses: what leads to false-negative or false-
positive results? Eur Radiol. 2013 Sep;23(9):2432-40.
• 30- Kim MY, Choi N, Yang JH, Yoo YB, Park KS. False positive or negative results of shear-wave elastography in differentiating benign from
malignant breast masses: analysis of clinical and ultrasonographic characteristics. Acta Radiol. 2015 Oct;56(10):1155-62.
• 31- Lee SH, Chang JM, Kim WH, Bae MS, Seo M, Koo HR, Chu AJ, Gweon HM, Cho N, Moon WK. Added value of shear-wave elastography for
evaluation of breast masses detected with screening US imaging. Radiology. 2014 Oct;273(1):61-9.
• 32- Lee SH, Chang JM, Cho N, Koo HR, Yi A, Kim SJ, Youk JH, Son EJ, Choi SH, Kook SH, Chung J, Cha ES, Park JS, Jung HK, Ko KH, Choi HY, Ryu
EB, Moon WK; Korean Breast Elastography Study Group. Practice guideline for the performance of breast ultrasound elastography.
Ultrasonography. 2014 Jan;33(1):3-10.
• 33- Plecha DM, Pham RM, Klein N, Coffey A, Sattar A, Marshall H. Addition of shear-wave elastography during second-look MR
imagingdirected breast US: effect on lesion detection and biopsy targeting. Radiology. 2014 Sep;272(3):657-64
• 34- Mullen R, Thompson JM, Moussa O, Vinnicombe S, Evans A. Shear-wave elastography contributes to accurate tumour size estimation
when assessing small breast cancers. Clin Radiol. 2014 Dec;69(12):1259-63.
• 35- Feldmann A, Langlois C, Dewailly M, Martinez EF, Boulanger L, Kerdraon O, Faye N. Shear Wave Elastography (SWE): An Analysis of Breast
Lesion Characterization in 83 Breast Lesions. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2015 Oct;41(10):2594-604.
• 36- Au FW, Ghai S, Lu FI, Moshonov H, Crystal P. Quantitative shear wave elastography: correlation with prognostic histologic features and
immunohistochemical biomarkers of breast cancer. Acad Radiol. 2015 Mar;22(3):269-77.
• 37- Chang JM, Park IA, Lee SH, Kim WH, Bae MS, Koo HR, Yi A, Kim SJ, Cho N, Moon WK. Stiffness of tumours measured by shear-wave
elastography correlated with subtypes of breast cancer. Eur Radiol. 2013 Sep;23(9):2450-8.
• 38- Lee SH, Moon WK, Cho N, Chang JM, Moon HG, Han W, Noh DY, Lee JC, Kim HC, Lee KB, Park IA. Shear-wave elastographic features of
breast cancers: comparison with mechanical elasticity and histopathologic characteristics. Invest Radiol. 2014 Mar;49(3):147-55.
• 39- Ganau S, Andreu FJ, Escribano F, Martín A, Tortajada L, Villajos M, Baré M, Teixidó M, Ribé J, Sentís M. Shear-wave elastography and
immunohistochemical profiles in invasive breast cancer: evaluation of maximum and mean elasticity values. Eur J Radiol. 2015 Apr;84(4):617-
• 40- Evans A, Whelehan P, Thomson K, McLean D, Brauer K, Purdie C, Baker L, Jordan L, Rauchhaus P, Thompson A. Invasive breast cancer:
relationship between shear-wave elastographic findings and histologic prognostic factors. Radiology. 2012 Jun;263(3):673-7
• 41- Mori M, Tsunoda H, Kawauchi N, Kikuchi M, Honda S, Suzuki K, Yamauchi H. Elastographic evaluation of mucinous carcinoma of the
breast. Breast Cancer. 2012 Jan;19(1):60-3
• 42- Brkljaçiç B, Divjak E, Tomasoviç-Lonçariç Ç, Tešiç V, Ivanac G. Shear-wave sonoelastographic features of invasive lobular breast cancers.
Croat Med J. 2016;57:42-50
• 43- Lee EJ, Jung HK, Ko KH, Lee JT, Yoon JH. Diagnostic performances of shear wave elastography: which parameter to use in differential
diagnosis of solid breast masses? Eur Radiol. 2013 Jul;23(7):1803-11
• 44- Evans A, Rauchhaus P, Whelehan P, Thomson K, Purdie CA, Jordan LB, Michie CO, Thompson A, Vinnicombe S. Does shear wave
ultrasound independently predict axillary lymph node metastasis in women with invasive breast cancer? Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014
• 45- Youk JH, Gweon HM, Son EJ, Kim JA, Jeong J. Shear-wave elastography of invasive breast cancer: correlation between quantitative
mean elasticity value and immunohistochemical profile. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013 Feb;138(1):119-26.
• 46- Džoiç Dominkoviç M, Ivanac G, Kelava T, Brkljaçiç B. Elastographic features of triple negative breast cancers. Eur Radiol. 2015 Aug 1.
[Epub ahead of print]
• 47- Boisserie-Lacroix M, Mac Grogan G, Debled M, Ferron S, Asad-Syed M, Brouste V, Mathoulin-Pelissier S, Hurtevent-Labrot G. Radiological
features of triple-negative breast cancers (73 cases). Diagn Interv Imaging. 2012 Mar;93(3):183-90
• 48-Evans A, Armstrong S, Whelehan P, Thomson K, Rauchhaus P, Purdie C, Jordan L, Jones L, Thompson A, Vinnicombe S. Can shear-wave
elastography predict response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in women with invasive breast cancer? Br J Cancer. 2013 Nov 26;109(11):2798-
• 49- Athanasiou A, Latorre-Ossa H, Criton A, Tardivon A, Gennisson JL, Tanter M. Feasibility of Imaging and Treatment Monitoring of Breast
Lesions with Three-Dimensional Shear Wave Elastography. Ultraschall Med. 2015 Mar 5. [Epub ahead of print]
• 50- Lee SH, Chang JM, Han W, Moon HG, Koo HR, Gweon HM, Kim WH, Noh DY, Moon WK. Shear-Wave Elastography for the Detection of
Residual Breast Cancer After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Dec;22 Suppl 3:376-84.